to the man i love



Mrs. C.H. Spurgeon, the wife of the great theologian from the 1800s, Charles H. Spurgeon, puts my thoughts & affections into words: "how little i then thought that my eyes looked on him who was to be my life's beloved; how little i dreamed of the honor God was preparing for me in the near future! it is a mercy that our lives are not left for us to plan, but that our Father chooses for us; else might we sometimes turn away from our best blessings, and put from us the choicest and loveliest gifts of His providence." the theologian says this of his wife, which i echo from my heart towards my husband, "i knew i loved you very much before, but now i feel how necessary you are to me." (Mrs. C.H. Spurgeon , by Charles Ray, 1905) my husband has come to mean more to me through our six years of marriage than i ever thought could be possible. i eagerly anticipate the years the Lord, in His grace, gives to us together as husband & wife & as a family.

throughout this year i have been studying through a book by Martha Peace called The Excellent Wife. the Lord has opened my eyes to my weaknesses as a wife, in what specific areas i need to change in obedience to God's word, & is graciously turning my eyes back to His word and teaching me how to truly love mitch, honor him, respect him, and submit to him...for the Lord's glory and for the testimony of His wondrous grace in our lives. yes, this statement flies in the face of what we hear & are taught every day through the media, talk shows, public female figures, movies, books, magazines, etc, etc. but what does the Word of God say...Titus 2:3-5 "older women likewise are to be reverent in their behavior, not malicious gossips nor enslaved to much wine, teaching what is good, so that they may encourage the young women to LOVE THEIR HUSBANDS, love their children, to be sensible, pure, workers at home, kind, BEING SUBJECT TO THEIR OWN HUSBANDS, so that the word of God will not be dishonored." (emphasis added). God's word truly is sufficient to meet all my needs & lead me in the right way. II Timothy 3:16 "All scripture is inspired by God and is profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, for training in righteousness;" (emphasis added) Psalm 119:105 "Your word is a lamp to my feet & a light to my path." Psalm 19:7-11 "the law of the Lord is perfect, restoring the soul; the testimony of the Lord is sure, making wise the simple. the precepts of the Lord are right, rejoicing the heart; the commandment of the Lord is pure, enlightening the eyes. the fear of the Lord is clean, enduring forever; the judgments of the Lord are true; they are righteous altogether. they are more desirable than gold, yes, than much fine gold; sweeter also than honey and the drippings of the honey comb. moreover, is your servant warned; in keeping then there is great reward." II Peter 1:3 "seeing that His divine power has granted to us everything pertaining to life and godliness; through the true knowledge of Him who called us by His own glory & excellence." Isiah 40:8 "the grass withers, the flower fades, but the word of our God stands forever." i love my husband because he is a gift from my Lord specifically for me, because my God commands me to ("you shall love your neighbor as yourself" Galatians 5:14...my husband is my closest neighbor:), because i desire to glorify God in my marriage & life. so, you ask, do you have the perfect marriage? uh...yeah right. a big good grief NO! of course not. who does? i'm convinced there's no such thing:) we are simply two sinners saved by the grace of God to live for Him during our stay here on this earth. the difference then...our reliance is on the Lord, the Holy Spirit, and His eternal, everlasting word.

happy 6th anniversary, sweetheart...& happy father's day to the best daddy in the whole wide world! i love you.

0 comments: