Our First Trip to the ER


I'm sad to say that today was our first visit to the ER with Emmit. He attempted to take a step down our stairs by the kitchen, with the good intention to help me with the laundry basket. I did manage to catch him but he hit his head pretty good on the corner of a small shelf to the left of the stairs. I thought all was well until I saw blood pouring from just above his right eye. I ran all over the house looking for my phone & forgot that I had placed it on the shelf right where Emmit hit his poor head! Just as I was about to dial the phone to call Mitch I heard him open the front door. Praise the Lord for His perfect timing!!! We bandaged his boo-boo, packed up his diaper bag & drove our bloodied boy over to the Oakwood ER. Emmit handled the pain, bandage, no nap time & lack of food & water remarkably well. I think he was more intent on watching all the people around him. The doctor was super nice. She gave Emmit about 6-7 stitches. The paramedic that held Emmit down was a saint, if that's possible for health care professionals. He didn't let Emmit move his head one inch. By the time he let go Emmit's hair was soaked with sweat. Poor kid had a bit of a rough time. I was for sure he'd either fall asleep in the car on the way home or at least crash when we did get home, but he ended up playing, having a snack, & playing some more....he's asleep right now...whew! Didn't know how hard it would be seeing my little one bleeding & in pain.

This incident reminded me of the great love & care God shows towards them that put their faith in Him.
"He heals the brokenhearted & binds up their wounds." Psalm 147:3

2 comments:

  the owens

January 15, 2008 at 3:17 PM

matt told me that emmit had to get stitches b/c of a fall yesterday and it just broke my heart for you (and him)! i know how hard it is for me to see stelly get shots, let alone stitches. i'm so sorry!! he seems to be one tough cookie though. hope today hasn't been too bad and that his recovery is uneventful (keeping him from re-banging his head will probably be the biggest challenge!). hope you're doing OK too! love, erica

  danamydannyaaronanna

January 18, 2008 at 8:37 PM

holy cow!!!! i remember danny's first spill. he was wrapped like a sausage going up the stairs at the YMCA after swimming. he splipped. since his arms were bound his chin caught the fall. I think i was more terrified than he was.

thank you for the insight on the chemical cleaners and the book reccomendation :)